Applications Open Today for Baltimore's COVID-19 Temporary Rent Relief Porgram
The application period for Baltimore City's COVID-19 Temporary Rent Relief program begins today and ends July 13th. This program supports eligible renters by making rent payments directly to landlords.
Program Scope: This emergency program addresses delinquencies incurred between April 1 and June 30 2020.
Eligible Residents: To be eligible, residents must:
- have income equal or less than 50% AMI prior to the crisis
- have fully paid-up on rent as of March 31st
- not receive other government housing assistance, and
- demonstrate income loss due to COVID-19
Landlord Commitment: In exchange for landlords of approved tenants to receive payment for back rent from April – June 30, 2020, they must agree to:
- Forgive 20% of contract rent for the covered months
- Not file for eviction due to nonpayment during July and August, although the resident will still owe contract rent.
- Delinquent rent may not include late fees, interest, or other penalties.
MMHA has been working with Baltimore DHCD to ensure that the application and funding distribution process goes as smoothly as possible. To ensure that DHCD staff can focus on approving applications, after reviewing the FAQ and website information please share your questions with me. I will be discussing member questions daily with their staff and will be able to respond by the following day.
Applications close July 13 and funding is limited, so please share this information with your residents as soon as possible.
Below is additional information on the program. Please let me know if you have any questions.